Sunday, August 5, 2012

Upsized Charm Square baby Quilt instructions

I've had a few queries about my Upsized Charm square baby quilt's that I made here, herehere and here, so I thought I'd blog about the changes I made rather than detailing the instructions in emails to individuals.

To make mine a little larger, I used 1.5 charm square packs (63 squares).... so with two packs it meant I had enough squares to be choosy about which ones I used.

You will need
42 x 5" squares
21 x 5" squares cut in half to make 42x  5x2.5" rectangles
6 x 2.5" strips of white sashing (39.5" each)
2 x 6.5" strips of white sashing for the top and bottom

You can then make 7 rows, each with six 5" squares and six 5x2.5" rectangles alternating between starting the row with the 5" square or the 5x2.5" rectangle

If you want to add a name etc to the borders, just make templates from a word font to applique.

This one is definately my favourite so far.... I just loved the colours:






I hope this helps.

Cheers
Thimbelina

13 comments:

  1. Cindy W Qld,
    Great looking quilts, beautiful fabric.
    I too love the top one, thank you for sharing the up sized instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the quilts are gorgeous - love the colours in each one. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing, I love your quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely....thanks for sharing. Hopefully get myself organised one day to do one. I hope your school holidays are going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are the finished dimensions on this upscaled quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get the original link to open up. Will I even need it with the directions that you gave on here?

    ReplyDelete
  7. For those Anonymous comments that I'm unable to email a reply to:
    The finished quilt measures approximately 56" (140cm) in length and is 39.5" (98.8 cm) wide.
    If you have made a quilt before and know the basics you wont need the Original instructions from Sew Mama Sew to assemble it successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilts are so pretty! I'm making my first quilt for my 2 yr. Old granddaughters birthday in Dec. This quilt will be a very nice present and keepsake for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabric collections used would be useful. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The rectangles must be 5 x 2.75 not 5 x 2.5.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just curious what patterns you recommend to use when quilting this. It's so beautiful and I don't want to mess it up

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this quilt! Will be making one for a friend's new granddaughter. Could you tell me how tall the letters and hearts are? My guess is about 3"? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know this is an older thread but I love this quilt and would love to make it for a baby girl. The original link is no longer available and I'm hoping you can help me with the instructions. I'm particularly interested in the lettering and the heart appliques. I'm new to this and could use the help. Thank you. Your quilts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments...... It's nice to know i'm not just talking to myself!