Sunday, August 8, 2010

Learning new skills

Miss 11 has been wanting to learn how to crochet for some time and our beautiful neighbour was happy to teach her.... unfortunately though, with our neighbour being left-handed and Miss 11 right-handed it has proved to be somewhat difficult.  My Nan had taught me how to crochet rugs about 20 years ago.... you know the type where you do one type of stitch and continue round and round in cirlces until it's the size you want. I had never learnt any other stitches and I'd never followed a pattern.

Sooooo..... armed with this book:

and this tutorial from "Aesthetic Nest".... this is what I ended up with:
The sizing isn't great... as it doesn't seem deep enough to stay on baby's head but I didn't have the correct size crochet hook and I have no idea if the wool I used was suited to the project. I really just wanted to see if I could follow the pattern before buying any materials. The double flower turned out perfectly and was so easy to make.... the whole project wasn't nearly as stressful as I thought it would be and I can definately see myself making more of these as gifts. I can't wait to try another one now!

Until next time.......

7 comments:

  1. Definately stick with it, you have done a really good job! Most craft stores sell packs of plastic crochet hooks from small to larger chunky hooks...which are great for whipping up scarves in no time! You should be so pleased with yourself!
    Lisa ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum is left handed and I am right handed and she has been trying to teach me to crochet - very frustrating but I am getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crocheting is so much fun..quick & easy...& if you can make those rugs, you can do anything...I promise. The little hat looks gorgeous & if you'd like it deeper, once you finish increasing (that gives you the size crown you want) you keep going around until it's long enough. The little flower is beautiful.
    Jane...xx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When trying to teach opposite handed people, a mirror helps take away the guess work. With both people sitting the same side of the table, position the mirror up against something for the student to watch the teacher through.
    Cheers 'kacky handed'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there no limit to your talents?!? Very cute crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep I remember those blankets and made heaps when I was younger and learnt how to crochet. I too like you never learnt to crochet anything else. I love your little hat and flower...very cute.
    Hugs Khris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just learning how to crochet too!! Wow, amazing that to make the hat, super cute! Congrats! I should really start trying making other than a square! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments...... It's nice to know i'm not just talking to myself!