Saturday, June 5, 2010

In Memory of 'Aunty Lin'

Sadly, My dear Aunty Lin passed away in the early hours of Monday morning ..... It's been a very long and very sad week in our household and one I'll never forget. At the all too young age of 59, Aunty Lin was taken  from us after enduring her illness for 16 long years and will be sadly missed by her family and all those who were fortunate enough to know her. She was one extremely brave and inspiring woman who I admired greatly.

I'll especially miss the times I spent sewing with Lin.... every time she came to town for a visit I would manage to steal her away from Mum for at least one day where we would spend the whole day either quilting, visiting a nearby quilt shop or internet shopping for quilting supplies! She shared my passion for craft and everything she made was absolutely perfect.... she had the neatest little stitches you've ever seen.

The following photo's are some I've borrowed so that I could share some of her creations with you.... and hopefully I'll be able to dig up some more photos shortly. I'm not sure of all the dates and details either but have noted what I can..... Enjoy!

Aunty Lin's first quilt in 2005 - For Nan for Mother's Day

2005

Christmas 2006 - For her son John & Daughter-in-law Nicole
'Butterfly's Flutter By'

2006 - This one was on Aunty Lin's bed the last time I saw her. Such a pretty quilt.

Christmas 2006 - For her daughter Kathy and Son-in-law Glenn

2006 - For her beautiful friend Sharryn whose love and support was amazing.

December 2006 - For her friend Narelle
'House of Plenty'
I have fond memories of this one as I helped piece it together on one of our sewing days.

January 2007 - Christmas Table Cloth

May 2007
'Our Country Home'... This quilt is absolutely gorgeous. The photo really doesn't do it justice.

July 2007 - Lin made two of these for her daughter Kathy and her friend Robyn for Christmas that year.

Sewing Machine Cover

Japanese quilt..... pure artwork!

'Ashes of Roses' Quilt... another one that I helped with.

Made for her grand-daughter Tania for her 18th Birthday

Do Not Cry Because I Have Gone

You can shed a tear that I am gone,
Or you can smile because I lived,
You can close your eyes and pray that I will come back,
Or you can open your eyes and see all that I have left.

Your heart can be empty because you can't see me
Or you can be full of the love that you shared with me
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday

You can remember me and only that I am gone
Or you can cherish my memory and let it live on,
You can cry and close your mind,
Be empty and turn your back
Or you can do what I would want:
Smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

Uknown Author

Until next time....


7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. She was a prolific quilter and her quilts will be treasured memories of all the fun times you had together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss! She was way too young to pass away! She made some very beautiful quilts, and sounds like you have many "crafty" memories to look back on.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderfull lady Tracy...I have fond memories of that house quilt as well...I remember arriving at your home to start my house quilt & meet your Aunty. You had gone out so she introduced herself & the chatting between us didn't stop....I even remember what she was wearing...what a warm & sweet lady....you definatly have her traits trac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing quilts by a very special lady by the sounds of it. Certainly too young to be taken but God must be needing a quilt or two himself. xx
    I love her first one, does it have a name? I love this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts are with you and your family Trace...what a gorgeous display your Aunt Lin one amazing lady..take care Peg xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear Aunty Lin.
    I can really understand how you feel as I lost my dearest friend at 49 this year.
    My thoughts are with you.
    Aunty Lin was a beautiful quilter and sounds like a lovely lady.
    I really appreciate the poem at the bottom of this post... it means so much.
    Take care,
    hugs
    Robyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. ChookyBlue sent me over and I read your posts and added myself as a follower right away. What a beautiful tribute to your Aunty Lin to share her gorgeous quilts. She was an amazing quilter and you can see that they are just exquisite. The quilts are a legacy that she has shared with her family and they will remind them of her all the time. If you go to my blog and scroll all the way down, you will find a poem I wrote about the legacy of stitches that we leave behind. I have some family quilts and many I've made that inspired me to write the poem. Your Aunty was so young. Bless you for sharing her quilts. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments...... It's nice to know i'm not just talking to myself!